Sunday, July 6, 2008

Heely's Skate Shoes



I'm sure you've heard of them. They aren't as popular as they were a few years ago, but we tend to not allow our kids to indulge in the "latest and greatest" of things! (If we'd allow them to, the grandparents would OVER INDULGE!) They are Heely's! They're sneakers that have a wheel in the bottom of the shoe. The kids have to learn to balance themselves on the skates or they will fall off!! It didn't take long for them to get the knack! Now they love to wear them wherever we go!! I have taught them Heely etiquette and they know how to "look out for other people," etc.

. . . but some people out there don't like kids with Heely's (I have seen many that don't practice Heely etiquette!)!! I have found that they tend to be older women. First she tries to get the kids attention and shakes her head and finger NO or snaps her fingers (the kind you can imagine of a teacher shamefully scorning a child after which she places him in the corner with a DUNCE hat on his head!! The children will quickly come to my side because I didn't see the initial non-verbal attack!! Then the un-authoritative, older lady (a greeter at Walmart for instance), will say, "I'm sorry Mam, but they really don't want kids riding on those in here. They could fall and get hurt!!"

DUH!!!

They COULD fall while walking too!!

If that was a posted rule at Walmart, BJ's, etc. and the woman actually had a tool to remove the wheels, I would completely understand and wouldn't mind complying with the posted rules. (This has happened by the way!)

BUT when a janitor, greeter, or sample server has a power trip because he/she personally "doesn't want someone to get hurt," I get super annoyed!! People get hurt by doing all kinds of stupid things!! You really can't avoid it!! While I was at Walmart, during the same visit, a child was riding a bike on training wheels through the isles at full speed!! Now that could hurt somebody . . .

I just think that if a greeter wants to have a power trip because she is concerned/annoyed with kids wearing Heely's, she should go to the Walmart corporate headquarters and have them make the rules!!!

Another rant on this same topic:

We were walking somewhere the other day and Camden was wearing his Heely's and he fell!! He didn't get hurt!! He's used to it!! But the mom behind me said to her son, "See how you can fall on those things!!"

I said to her, "Well, I figure they can fall if they're walking too, so what's the difference?" That was said with a smile, and we both laughed!

Why are people so afraid of "getting hurt?" I want to protect my kids as much as possible too, but they are gonna get hurt no matter what I do to keep them physically safe!!

1 comment:

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!
The Hogan Clan
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker