Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Curry Soup - a sweet surprise

I am constantly looking for something new and simple to feed my family! I can't afford to take too big a risk either b/c if 1 or 2 of them don't like it, then my husband is stuck taking it to work for several days in a row!! So a friend told me about this soup that uses applesauce?!?!?! I thought that was interesting and I thought my gang could handle it!! So here it is:

Vegetable oil
1/2 c chopped onions
2 t curry powder
3 1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c uncooked rice (I used brown)
salt & pepper
2 c bite sized chunks of chicken
1 c of unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
1/2 c heavy cream, half & half, or sour cream (not milk)
1c chopped carrots
1 c chopped celery

1. Heat oil in stock pot and add onion and curry. Saute over med heat till onions are translucent.
2. Add broth, rice, carrots, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer long enough to cook the rice (20-40 min)
3. Stir in chicken applesauce, and parsley. Cover and simmer 5 more min.
4. Remove from heat and add cream and serve!!

*Most of my family loved it! One of my munchkins didn't care for it so she put lots of parmesan on it and then she ate it just fine! (don't ask!!) Everyone else loved it!!! I put crackers or biscuits in it and it is wonderful!! My husband really liked it so he was kind of hoping that no one liked it so he would have it all to himself!! Oh well!! I was glad to make something out of my normal routine!!!

1 comment:

Courtney Webb said...

Hey Jamie! I am SO glad that you liked the soup...it has become one of my faves:) I LOVE your blog- it is neat to hear about random stuff like forgetting things (I totally do that too...I sometimes worry about myself and wonder how much worse can I get as I age:), the funny things your kids say, and what God is teaching you and how He is working in your life. Thanks for sharing Jamie! I will visit your blog often. Oh, I LOVED Carley's comment about being blind- what, she is amazing! God really works in her heart! I am actually doing a Bible study by Jennifer Rothschild, who is blind. The Bible study is about walking by faith and not by sight. It is awesome- I totally recommend it. Ok, I really do enjoy your blog- keep on posting updates! Love ya!
Courtney

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!
The Hogan Clan
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker