Thursday, January 1, 2009

40 Days of Focus

You hear about it everywhere you turn these days. People are unemployed by the dozens!! You never think it is going to happen to you . . . then it does! It is unsettling . . . to say the least!! Life is quite different for us now than is was 2 months ago!! We are taking advantage of having Daddy at home, but he is essentially "working" to find work!! Every minute is consumed with "looking for a job" or thinking about the possibilities of this job or that?!?!? . . . unsettling isn't really a STRONG enough word!!

In these last few weeks with my husband unemployed, we have taken some time to devote ourselves to seeking God. This seems to always happen when life gets tough. Everything is going good and that relationship with Jesus just gets put an the back burner. Sometimes I just want to smack myself for doing that!! "Wake UP!!" So we decided to take 40 days and seek Him in a more intense way.

When I think about finishing up the 40 Days, I get nervous because I have got so close to my Savior during this time. The temptation to slip back into mediocrity is always there for me!! I am an Israelite from the Old testament, at best!! They were always so tempted to worship idols, even though they knew and had PROOF that God would come through for them if they would just remain faithful to Him. So instead of saying, "I'm gonna be devoted to Christ like THIS FROM NOW ON!!" I am going to start another 40 Days to focus. When I say "from now on . . ." I usually fail because I let life & busy-ness get the best of me!! SO, instead I am going to take it 40 Days at a time. Then I will re-evaluate my purpose, focus and methods and start a NEW 40 Days!! So for the rest of the year, I am going to continue in that pattern.

ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED:
James 4:7&8 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Come near to God and he will come near to you.

I have found this to be SOOO true!! I have taken the first steps to draw near to Him and HE has been so faithful! He has shown me things and taught me things that I would have never learned if I had not had the opportunity to see things from the perspective from which I now see!!

If you feel compelled, please pray for our "job search"!! (We could use all the help we can get!!) It's exhausting and daunting! There are very few rewards in the task and it is really no fun . . . what-so-ever!!! We have been blessed with some very encouraging people in our lives (you know who you are) and we feel like the richness of life is manifesting itself through these people!! Thank you, Lord!!

Thank you for stopping by and for your prayers!! That is my New Year's Resolution in a nutshell. What is yours?

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'll keep praying for the job search. We love you guys!
Hugs,
Becky

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!
The Hogan Clan
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker