Friday, November 28, 2008

Another Bunny Dies


I guess it is a good way for children to learn the cycle of life and death. Pets help them know that all creatures are born once and then eventually die. But it hurts all the same!

This morning we had another bunny die. But I am not sure I handled it all too well. I went outside to let the dog out and the bunny cage was open. Camden, our 6 year old, fed them yesterday and apparently he didn't shut the cage back tight. Usually Carley does it, and yesterday he helped her with her chores. I don't know when she got out, but she was stiff as could be in the middle of the yard. I could tell it had been awhile since it happened. The dog was out last night for quite a while and our guess is that she chased the bunny down in her instinctual way. I'm sure the dog was just playing, but Star, the bunny, was too fragile to "play."

When I saw her (THE BUNNY) in the yard, I immediately called for Shannon. Carley was still sleeping, so I thought we could dispose of the bunny before she saw what happened. He ran outside and got rid of her, but Carley looked out her window and saw him. In my desperate attempt to protect the kids from the trauma that they incurred the last time a bunny died, I lied to them (not knowing that Carley saw the whole thing out her bedroom window.) I told them that the bunny got out of the cage and must have run away (because dying seemed so much more traumatic to me!!). Carley asked what Daddy picked up in the yard. She said it looked like the bunny. Ugh!! I blew her off and tried to get away with it. She asked a few more times and I was feeling extremely guilty, so I told them the truth. They cried and mourned, but it was nothing like our last bunny death.

Why did I lie to them?? I didn't really think about it. Time just seemed to stand still, so I tried to protect them. The last time a bunny died was the first time we had a pet die and it was extremely traumatic for the children. They actually found her and didn't realize she was dead for several minutes. All I wanted was to protect them from that. They realized that I make mistakes too (if they hadn't figured that out already!!) and I prayed and asked them to forgive me . . . and they were eager to. I am glad for the conviction of the Holy Spirit and I am still asking myself, "WHY DID I DO THAT??"

The good thing is that we still have Hope, the other bunny. She will just have to get used to being alone.

No comments:

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!
The Hogan Clan
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker