Monday, June 2, 2008

a selfish act


I was recently out to eat with a large group of people. The group was people from all different avenues and walks of life and we were all brought together by the sports team that our kids shared. I was mingling around the group, talking to all the moms. (I have little in common with most of them!!) I finally found a comfy spot next to a mom that had a six week old infant. I just love babies!!

Let me start by saying that I don't judge people who don't "do life" like I "do life!" If you are a "send your kids to school" mom, a "working" mom, a "work at home" mom, etc, I am fully accepting of that!! You have the freedom to choose what works best for your family. Sometimes these decisions are made without thinking past "the NOW!" "I have to work!" she may say. "I don't have the patience to homeschool!" she may say!! OR she might not say anything at all!! I have meet so many people that are on the defense and wish they would have just made the sacrifice. It happens all the time!!

. . . now back to my story. . . . this mom with the baby is a career mom!! She has her baby in daycare and she goes out and works all day!!! Well, this baby started crying. She gave him a bottle but that didn't soothe him. She told me he wanted to be nursed, but he is just going to have to get used to the bottle because at daycare they can't nurse him. So consequently he proceeded to cry . . . a lot!!

My heart was just broken!! Her baby wanted the soothing comfort that only she could give and she refused to comfort him. She is a modern woman and didn't want to be tied down by breast feeding. God designed woman to be nurturing and sensitive to the needs of her children. When she ignores that sense in order to satisfy her OWN needs, I think that God is sad!! It is simply a selfish act.

I was sad!!

2 comments:

SLH said...

It is impossible to completely know what God said to Adam and Eve following their disobedience; however, the record we have distinguishes the role of a man and woman. The dilemma we face today is the fact that women desire to be satisfied by what God told Adam he would need to accomplish (toiling). This desire for women to be equal with and satisfied with the same desires and needs as a man is contradictory to what God ordered. With the growth of the feminist movement and the depletion of community the desire to serve God in the capacity he made for man and woman will continue to diminish. The question we must ask ourselves is, "Did Jesus come to adapt to culture or did He come to establish His Kingdom?" If He came to be relevant and adapt to culture, then the way we do church and life is adequate; however, if He came to establish His kingdom and to bring a sword, we might need to re-think who we are and what our paradigm is as it pertains to church and cultural relevance.

Susan said...

My husband and I were just talking about children this weekend. HE said it is truly sad how society just views children as another right of passage. And if someone has more than two then they are just insane. But when did the Bible change the wording to children are a burden. I have lookes over that. We continued to talk that even in the church community we have become selfish in every aspect of our lives. Breastfeeding is a selfless act because we are always at our babies beckon call. But didn't God design our bodies to feed our children. It is sad what is happening in this world. I just keep looking up and remembering that I am serving The One and Only true God.
Great post. I am sad with you for that woman and child.

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!
The Hogan Clan
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker