Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Hubby



I know that everyone thinks that their husband is the "best is the world", BUT I think mine is "THE BEST" . . . . he is pretty amazing!! I have been blessed to have been married to him for 11.5 years now. We dated for 4 years prior to getting married. We have been together for almost half of our lives at this point (and we are YOUNG!!). Everyday, I look him in the eyes and ask him, "how did we get this happy??"

We met when Shannon came to IN to see his family at holidays and summer breaks. I was friends with his cousin and her family. Their home was like a second home to me in those days! So naturally, I knew her family and extended family. Well her family extended all the way to Virginia. It's funny how the Lord works out those details!!! Thanks, B family! The Lord used you back in those days to bring this young gal and guy together forever!! I will forever be grateful for those precious moments of being welcomed in your home . . . on what always seemed to be "cleaning day!!!" HAHA!!

When we started dating, it was long distance. I was 16 and he was 17. I lived in IN and he lived in VA. He was a SR and I was a JR in high school. I had been a Christian for a few years and he was newly saved. We talked on the phone a lot . . . but not too much!! Neither of us wanted to seem too eager!! PLUS we couldn't afford the phone bills. Even though we were long distance for 2.5 years, we still managed to see each other about once a month. I counted the days from one time of seeing him to the next. It seemed like I was always counting days!! Sometimes I would fly out to see him and most of the time he would drive 10 hours to see me!!! We did all the same fun dating things as other couples. Movies, dinner, parks, walks along the river, hikes in the woods, walking the mall, etc. I remember when I lived at home. I would walk into the door from work and the first thing out of my mouth was, "Did Shannon call???" He was my best friend!!

He was a friend like I had never had before. He was patient, kind, gentle, not easily angered, humble and not boastful . . . . sound familiar?? That was and is my best friend.

After all these years together . . . he still makes me laugh everyday!!! He is hilarious and he reminds me of that often!! He has grown to be an awesome man of God and a wonderful father to my children. I can't believe we have four kiddos!! Family means the world to us. We want to change the world by impacting our kids. They are already awesome people to be around!! They love the Lord with all their hearts. The main reason for this is . . . their Dad!!

He has an amazing relationship with the Lord. He has been blessed with so many gifts and talents. I am blessed to call him my best friend!!

We have been through some of the toughest moments of our lives together in the past year . . . the new job "YEAH" . . . the new job "OH NO!!" . . . the new job "what have we got ourselves into??" the new job . . . gone . . . for the last 8 months . . . He has been unemployed!! I have seen him go through a lot during this time, but the Lord had remained faithful. Shannon reminds me all the time of where we could be . . . where we are . . . and the blessings we receive daily!!! We are blessed!

Today, Shannon got a job as an adjunct professor at a local Christian College. It isn't enough to pay all the bills yet, but we are thrilled. This is what he has been wanting to do for a long time. We are praying that it turns into something more permanent with more pay. Or maybe the Lord will use another avenue to bring full time work . . . we don't know?!?!?! BUT we are standing on his promises!! He has not left us yet . . . and He never will!

I just want to say that I am sooo proud of Shannon! He has been through so much, yet he holds his head high with the blessed assurance of Christ's love. I want the world to know that he is an AMAZING person. He is full of wisdom, integrity, and God's grace. He is thankful for the little things in life . . . and I . . . . am thankful for him!!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Beautiful!!!
Love ya!

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!

SO MUCH LOVE IN THIS HOUSE!!
The Hogan Clan
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker